Valentine Herman
November 1843 - October 26, 1901

Valentine was born in Indianapolis, Indiana, in 1843, the son of John and Anna Herman.  He moved with his family to Sheboygan, Wisconsin, in 1854 when he was about ten years old.  He lived with his parents in Sheboygan until 1862 when he enlisted in the army. During this period he listed his occupation as farmer, probably helping on the family farm.

Valentine joined the army on August 20, 1862 for a three year enlistment.  At the time of entering service, records indicate that he was 5 feet, 5 inches tall, with dark blue eyes, light hair, and fair complexion.  He joined Company E of the 27th Infantry Regiment, Wisconsin Volunteers during the Civil War.  After training, he mustered-in on October 27, 1862 at Milwaukee, Wisconsin.  His rank was Private.

He served until August 13, 1863 when he left his Company because of illness.  This was in Helena, Arkansas.  According to records which exist, he was "suffering from exposure, and disease of the kidneys caused by severe hardships".  On April 2, 1864, he was transferred to Washington General Hospital in Memphis, Tennessee. 

While in the hospital, he contracted small pox, and was transferred to the small pox hospital in Memphis, which specialized in cases of small pox.  After recovering from small pox, he was transferred back to Washington General Hospital.  Valentine was honorably discharged from the army for disability on May 17, 1865 (some records state March 17, 1865).  And he was released from the hospital in Memphis on May 30, 1865.

After being discharged from military service in 1865, Valentine returned to Sheboygan and lived with his parents until 1873.  During this period, he was under the care of a Dr. Buck, and was unable to do any work.  After recovering, he then moved to Indianapolis, Indiana, where he resided for the rest of his life.  His residence in Indianapolis was at 137 N. Railroad Street.

On November 22, 1877, Valentine married Theresa Fehringer.  They had seven children; five boys and two girls.  During this time, he listed his occupation as "light labor hand".

In August of 1884, Valentine filed for a disability pension from the U.S. government.  Various documents still exist which describe his efforts to establish his claim based on disabilities he suffered during his service with the Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry.  Valentine lived at 267 Spring Street in Indianapolis in 1887.  He lived at 164 Yandes Street in Indianapolis from 1889 to 1892.

Valentine was hit by a train on October 25, 1901.  He was bringing his cow home from pasture, and had one end of a rope tied around the cow's horns, and the other end tied around his waist.  The cow crossed the railroad tracks, and a train hit the rope connecting them.  Valentine was injured gravely as he was dragged by the train.  He died from his injuries the next day, October 26th, at City Hospital.  At the time of his death, Valentine and his wife Theresa lived at 2171 Massachusetts Avenue, Indianapolis, IN.

Valentine is buried at Crown Hill Cemetery in a section devoted to Union soldiers of the Civil War.  A picture of his headstone is shown above.  His wife Theresa, and several of his children are also buried in other sections of Crown Hill Cemetery.

Documents on file for Valentine Herman;